Last year I went on an excellent workshop on making fairy shoes at Newbury Embroiderers Guild. The teachers name was Annette Emms and we all had such an enjoyable time.
You could make pixie boots and fairy shoes and I made both.
These are the boots I made with silk, felt wire, chiffon and beads. It was a bit fiddly at times but very absorbing.
The fairy shoes are smaller but are made in a similar way.
I became quite addicted to making the shoes and couldn't wait to make some more.
I couldnt resist this vibrant stretch fabric at the Knitting and Stitch show last October. The pattern is huge and I didnt realise in my haste to sew this top that I had not centred the front. I was very cross with my self but in my self defence I was very short of time. This Vogue pattern, numver V89582 which I have made many times is so comfortable that I have already worn this top several times, regardless of the wonky pattern.
David our builder laid down some hard core where the new garage will eventually be located. He also laid some more up the path to the back door so that we could walk outside with out becoming muddy.
He then had to leave us to go and do some building work for some one else, as we didn't have the planning through for the garage.
We were eager to enjoy the garden for at least the end of summer and so ended up hiring another builder to build us a patio area and some retaining walls.
We had to leave the builders as we shot off on a holiday to Japan with some family members while my brother house sat and kept an eye on things.
When we arrived back the garden was well on its way. Lets just say we had some problems with the garden which were resolved to our satisfaction.
As our land is on a slope we had to have a higher area outside the barn with steps coming down to the area outside of the kitchen.
The earth was held back with sleepers.
Finally the hard core was down and the grey lime stone slabs were being laid down.
We have made some planting areas and two sets of steps up to the garden.
The garden area was finished and ready to plant up with some low maintenance plants and garden furniture.
Sorting out my new sewing room is an on going task but I did discover that I had far too much dress making fabric unused.
Until now I didn't have somewhere clean to lay out and cut fabric and my kitchen island has worked out ideal for this.
The first dress I made was with a free simplicity pattern from a magazine. The fabric is rayon and was very easy to work with.
You will have to excuse the fact that Doris the tailors dummy is my model but I had no one around to photograph me in the dress or other clothes that I have made recently.
The pockets are slightly elasticated and the sleeves have a pretty edge, both with roulo bows.
The pattern I used.
We chose a Neptune painted kitchen from Ben Heath in Newbury. We wanted a very simple layout with minimal wall units.
The day the kitchen units arrived was very exciting. It didnt take long before they had been arranged along the back wall.
A plynth was added to support an upstand at the back of the work surface.
The island was then bolted together.
The extractor fan was assembled and put up. It was quite a complicated proceedure because of the zinc roof.
Pegs were added to support a shelf either side of the extractor fan. Meanwhile the lighting was going up as well.
The island work surface is oak and was made especially.
The sink area was completed and a few days later the granite was templated and fitted.
Once the shelf was added with lights the area was complete.
We chose granite along the back wall also and once that was down the hob was inserted.
The completed kitchen.
The floor being laid down the hall way.
I moved some of my sewing things into my new sewing room and this was an attempt to keep the cats and dust out!
The en suite floor tiles going down.
The walk in shower taking shape. Kevin is an excellent tiler.
The main bathroom, or my sanctuary! walls being primed for tiles.
The tiles over the bath completed and the radiator hung.
Meanwhile we are starting to move furniture into the master bedroom.
We bought a whole load to wardrobes from Ikea so that we could put them up straight away and begin to get sorted. If they fall to bits some time later, then we can think again.
Now that we had formed a utility room, we started to cause more dirt and chaos to the kitchen area of the cottage by building a new larder.
Before long the stud work was added and then plastered.
In the utility room, what was left of the old floor was levelled with levelling compound.
We moved some of the food and kitchen stuff into the utility room so that we could function.
I added some Ikea metal poles and shelves to the back and walls of my closet. On the floor I bought some Ikea TV tables and placed shoe boxes, again from Ikea in them. I also added a white box I had for winter jumpers.
On the left side I have bags, belts and costume jewellery. I can add extra bags on top of the shelf.
Further on I have dresses and long clothes.
I have 2 rows of hangers for tops, trousers and skirts.
On the right side I have poles for lots of scarves.
Shoes and boots.
Up in the eves I have some extra shelves for storage and suitcases.
It may be small but it holds every thing I want and I can see what I have.
The kitchen floor tiles going down. We chose a gorgeous grey limestone.
In the meantime, Anjay our Polish friend was taking up the old floor in the cottage kitchen area. It did not go with the new floor and what we had planned with the rest of the cottage.
What a stressful, filthy and noisy job it was. We were at the end of our tether at this point but we had to carry on.
Once the floor was removed Anjay built some new stud walls around the sink area to make a new utility room.
More electrical holes were being cut to supply new lights and light switches.
The utility room finished and ready to paint.